Featuring Works by NE Minneapolis Artists
September 4, 2019. Located in the heart of the NE Minneapolis Arts District, Hook & Ladder Apartments will feature works by artists who live and/or work in Northeast Minneapolis.
Newport Midwest hired NE Sculpture to lead the commissioning and installation process.
NE Sculpture issued a Call for Art earlier this year. The selection committee made up of representatives from NE Sculpture, the NE Arts District Board and Newport Midwest’s development team selected the described works by the following artists for installation:
- Lisa Elia – bike racks, benches and trash receptacles for the interior courtyard
- James Brenner – sculptural entrance to the site along and over the sidewalk from 24th Avenue NE (pictured above)
- Aaron Dysart – sculpture located near 23rd Avenue NE and Jefferson Street
- L. John Andrew – bike racks near building entrances on 24th Avenue NE and Jefferson Street
- Peyton and Daesk Russell – A large mural for the community room by this father-son duo
“We’re very happy and excited to showcase the work of local artists at our new Hook & Ladder Apartments community,” says Becky Landon, partner and member of Newport Midwest’s development team. “Installing art adds a beautiful touch to the buildings and we’re pleased to support local artists.”
The buildings will include the first multi-family building of its kind in this climate zone and the first affordable building built to Passive House Certification standards.
That means they were constructed with green building materials, and require less energy to heat and cool while providing excellent indoor air quality.